Hospice services enhance quality of life and facilitate achievement of final goals for terminally ill patients. Many people are surprised that administration of medications for pain control can often be accomplished in non-invasive ways, such as drops under the tongue, patches worn on the skin or in gels or lotions. When patients are pain-free, their ability to cope with their illness is increased. Our Home Hospice Team recognizes that not all discomfort is physical. Some patients may experience emotional, spiritual or even financial pain that can erode their sense of well-being. Our team members are trained to recognize issues that affect the whole person, not just the disease. We consider the patient and the family as one unit of care, and work to meet a broad spectrum of needs as lovingly and effectively as possible. Home Hospice offers grief counseling to families after their loved ones die, providing a legacy of care that continues, while providing those who mourn with practical information and emotional support.
Benefits of Hospice for Patients & Families:
- You may remain in familiar surroundings, where you are comfortable and secure.
- You decide on the plan of care that best meets your needs and those of your family.
- You remain as independent as possible, supported by our interdisciplinary team and guided by your physician.
- You have access to an on-call registered nurse, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- You receive visits from a registered nurse who is a specialist in pain and symptom control.
- You have the option of pastoral care from our chaplain.
- You may call upon social workers who will help you access resources, provide support to you and your family, and help you navigate the complex choices at the end of life.
- You may be assisted with hygiene and personal care tasks provided by hospice aides.
- You enjoy the company of dedicated trained volunteers whose talents are considerable and whose commitment to you is obvious.
- You collaborate with the hospice team to develop a plan providing the most appropriate medications, equipment, and activities.
- You know that your family will receive assistance now and support in the future.
- You have access to several programs such as Bear Hugs, Whispers from Home, and Leaving a Legacy.
“There is such comfort with hospice – for the patient and the family. I wish my daddy could have known that quality of care for a longer period of time.”